Do I have to report a Traffic Accident?

Regardless of fault, a crash report must be filed by the driver of a vehicle if the crash involves death, bodily injury or property damage over $500. 

Notify the police immediately. Many towns and cities require a report if a crash occurs within their limits. Therefore, if an officer is not at the scene of the crash, a report must be made at the nearest police station as soon as possible. If in a rural area, the county sheriff or Illinois State Police must be notified. If the driver is unable to make the report and there is a passenger, the passenger must make the report.

A report also must be made to the Illinois Department of Transportation. This confidential report must be sent no later than 10 days after the crash. The form can be obtained from a police officer or automobile insurance agency.